[R] question on - build R as a shared library

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Mar 2 21:26:03 CET 2003

Bai Yan wrote:

> The thing is that even I didn't specify 'enable-shlib', I still get
> libR.so but not libR.a, I must missed something here.
> Please have a look at the logs below:

> %cd /disk/hopper/projects/class/cse514/R-1.6.2/
> %make distclean
> %./configure --prefix=/disk/hopper/projects/class/cse514/R-1.6.2/
> %cd lib/R/bin
> %ls
> BATCH    LINK   REMOVE  Rd2txt  Rdindex  Sd2Rd  config   libtool
> COMPILE  R      Rcmd    Rdconv  Rprof    build  f77      pager
> INSTALL  R.bin  Rd2dvi  Rdiff   SHLIB    check  libR.so  texi2dvi
>                                                 ^^^^^^^

You builded that one on a previous run (look at the dates), I guess.
Making a clean build from sources results in neither libR.so nor libR.a.
The relevant thing is R.bin in that case.
I guess libR.so is left over from installing into the source tree, as
your --prefix statement implies ... (that's not a good idea).

Uwe Ligges