[R] Novice Questions

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jun 30 21:54:06 CEST 2003

Hi, Bruce:

	  I'm overwhelmed.  Questioners seem to get quicker, more informative
quickly understood, and preferably include a toy example that someone
else can run quickly to reproduce the problem and to evaluate
alternative solutions.

	  I see you are using "source" and would like to get more output.  Did
you check "?source"?  This function in R has arguments "echo" and
"verbose", which may produce what you want.  If you've already tried
that, then the problem may be output buffering, and I don't know how to
modify that parameter.  A search of "www.r-project.org" -> search -> "R
Site Search" might help.  Or ask a question focused specifically on
that, giving also which version of R you are using under which operating
system.

	  I rarely use "source".  More often, I have R commands in another file
and copy and paste into R the commands I want to run.  That makes it
easier for me to isolate errors, etc.

	  This does not address all your questions, but it's a start.

Hope this helps.
spencer graves