[R] Can not install the packages

Olatunde Adejumobi tunda012001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 22:54:44 CEST 2003

Please, I am having problems in the process of
installing the R-packages in the R_HOME/library.
The following message is the error that I am getting:

# R CMD INSTALL -l /usr/local/bin/R/library base
WARNING: package 'base' does not exist
ERROR: no packages specified
# R CMD INSTALL -l /usr/local/bin/R/library tools
grep: tools/DESCRIPTION: No such file or directory
ERROR: cannot write to or create directory
'/usr/local/bin/R/library'

Because I am new to the Linux environment, this
problem seems unresolvable for me. I have searched the
internet for solutions and this is what I have tried:

# ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl
# R CMD INSTALL -l /usr/local/bin/R/library base
WARNING: package 'base' does not exist
ERROR: no packages specified

But, it does not work and I don't even know if it is
related. Please, I need answer quickly as it is needed
for my school projects.

Olatunde