[R] How can I do a spinning plot in R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 06:35:10 CEST 2003

There are interfaces to XGobi (the xgobi package on CRAN) and GGobi
(RSGGobi from Omegahat, and I have a variation on xgobi())  to allow
spinning of point clouds.

You can spin surfaces in the R<-->GL packages, e.g. Duncan Murdoch's at
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/default.htm
and (perhaps: I have not tried this one) Daniel Adler's at
http://wsopuppenkiste.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/~dadler/rgl/

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I have found XLispStat's spinning plots illuminating.
> I'd like to do the same thing in R.
> A dozen or so probes with help, help.search, apropos
> haven't turned up anything, and I've even resorted to
> grepping through the entire R source distribution
> looking for 'spin.*plot', to no avail.
>
> Either the feature is called something else in R (what?),
> or it's in some other package in CRAN (which?),
> or it's not yet available (I hope not, because I am very
> far from being skilled enough in R programming to do it
> myself).

(Actually the problem is the user interaction which does not fit well with
the S/R graphics model.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk