[R] namespaces not available

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Fri Jun 20 15:53:56 CEST 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Göran Broström wrote:

> This happened to me with R-1.7.0, Linux RH9:

> > q()
> Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: y
> Warning messages:
> 1: namespaces may not be available when loading
> 2: names in persistent strings are currently ignored

This happens when one of the variables in your workspace contains a
reference to a name space, for eample as the environment of a
function.  The first warning is there because the workspace cannot be
loaded into older R versions.  THe second warning should probably be
removed.

> gb at lasker:~/R/test$ R
>
> R : Copyright 2003, The R Development Core Team
> Version 1.7.0  (2003-04-16)
>
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type `license()' or `licence()' for distribution details.
>
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type `contributors()' for more information.
>
> Type `demo()' for some demos, `help()' for on-line help, or
> `help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
> Type `q()' to quit R.
>
> Error in get(x, envir, mode, inherits) : variable "biplot" was not found
> Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData
> (what is "biplot"??)

This I don't understand.  Loading a workspace with a reference to mva
or MASS (which imports biplot from mva) works fine for me, so there is
something more complicated going on.  Does a traceback() tell you
anything?  Otherwise, can you send me your .RData file and I will try
to track this down.

luke

--
Luke Tierney