[R] combining mathematical notation and value substitution

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 20 08:47:48 CEST 2003

Dear People,

I need to make a label which both contains math notation as well as
substitutes a value for an object. In the following label, len and theta
are one dim variables, and I am substituting their values appropriately.
This label looks fine except that I want the greek symbol for theta to
appear instead of the word `theta'. How can I do so most easily? I don't
understand the underlying mechanisms well enough to work it out for
myself. Thanks in advance.

Please cc me. I'm not subscribed to the list.

                                                           Faheem.

main=paste("Monotonic Multigamma run (n=",
deparse(substitute(len)),", ",
expression(theta),"=", deparse(substitute(theta)),").")