[R] saving window size of a graphics device in windows possible?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 18:55:19 CEST 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Masayoshi Hayashi wrote:

> In MDI mode of Windows, is it possible to save window size and other
> parameter settings of a graphics device when it is activated, much like
> Rconsole file?

No, but you don't need to.

Size is part of the arguments of the windows() device, and you can write a
wrapper with different arguments and set that as the default device (via
options(device="mywindows") in e.g. .Rprofile.).

> By default the bottom part of a graphic device (windows()) is too big such
> that it is hidden under the horizontal scrolling and status bar of Rgui. (Of
> course I can use the vertical scrolling bar of Rgui to see the hidden part.)

Then Windows is lying about the graphics dimensions (not unknown), as the
code ensures that neither initial dimension is more than 85% of the same
dimension of the screen.  You probably need to set the screen resolution:
see ?windows

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk