[R] Forward stepwise procedure w/ stepAIC

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 16:25:22 CEST 2003

It starts with the initial model you gave it, which contains all your
explanatory variables already.  You presumably wanted to use a simpler
model to start with.  As in:

Arguments:

  object: an object representing a model of an appropriate class. This
          is used as the initial model in the stepwise search.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 MZodet at ahrq.gov wrote:

> I'm attempting to select a model using stepAIC.  I want to use a forward
> selection procedure.  I have specified a "scope" option, but must not be
> understanding how this works.  My results indicate that the procedure begins
> and ends with the "full" model (i.e., all 17 independent variables)...not
> what I expected.  Could someone please point out what I'm not understanding?

[output snipped]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk