[R] Clustering quality measure

Christian Hennig hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 18 11:20:44 CEST 2003

Hi,

>     Jonck> Hi all, I am running a series of experiments where
>     Jonck> after manipulating my data I run several clustering
>     Jonck> algorithms (agnes, diana and a clustering method of
>     Jonck> my own) on the data. I wanted to determine which
>     Jonck> clustering method did the best job, so therefore I
>     Jonck> had defined my own quality measure using two
>     Jonck> criteria: compactness of the data within the clusters
>     Jonck> themselves and the amount of seperation between the
>     Jonck> clusters. Anyway, my quality measure does not work,
>     Jonck> since according to my quality measure the quality
>     Jonck> gets increasingly better as more clusters are formed
>     Jonck> untill every data instance is a cluster by itself.
>     Jonck> Therefore I was wondering if any of you are aware of
>     Jonck> any libraries or functions within R that determine
>     Jonck> quality measures of clusterings, I am very much
>     Jonck> intrigued by the definition of quality measures that
>     Jonck> do work.  Thanks very much, Jonck

Sounds a bit like ratio of within clusters variation and between clusters
variation. Similar measures arise as negative
loglikelihoods in certain normal distribution based clustering methods.
Of course they get better with more
clusters because there are more degrees of freedom for the fit. A common
strategy is to penalize the negative loglikelihood by an increasing
function of the number of degrees of freedom.

This is implemented as BIC (Bayesian Information Criterion) for various
normal mixture models in library mclust and is used there to decide about
the best model (number of clusters, covariance matrix parametrization).

In principle, you could compute the BIC, given a certain covariance matrix
parametrization, for every partition from an arbitrary clustering.

Note however that this, as every quality measure for clustering, implies a
particular concept of what a cluster is. If you define a cluster as
"looking like a mixture component in a normal mixture", than this is OK,
but very likely you will then get the "best" clustering using a method which
performs estimation in a normal mixture model.

If you have a different concept of a cluster and you formalize it via a
quality criterion, you will get the best clustering by optimizing *this*
quality criterion (maybe apart from possible numerical problems).

The important point is that no quality criterion for clustering provides an
independent objective decision of what the best clustering is. The choice
of an adequate quality criterion is as difficult and subjective as the
choice of the best clustering method.

Best,
Christian

Christian Hennig
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum (LEO), CH-8092 Zuerich (currently)
and Fachbereich Mathematik-SPST/ZMS, Universitaet Hamburg
hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch, http://stat.ethz.ch/~hennig/
hennig at math.uni-hamburg.de, http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/hennig/