[R] Isocontour-lines of spatial data on a rectangular grid (not plots!)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 16 13:01:54 CEST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Dieter Menne wrote:

> Dear R-Listers,
>
> I have spatial data on an equidistant rectangular grid, similar to
> topographic data. I know that there are quite a few R-packages or base
> functions that provide nice iso-contours plot, but I don't want a plot, just
> the smoothed isocontour line of ONE level (e.g. 10 mm).
>
> Data sets are large, so it would be preferable if the availability of
> regular grid data could be exploited, and the fact that I only need ONE
> isocontour line.  Polynomial fits are not adequate, but loess works nicely
> for the plots. Akima/interp might be a little too general, and if I remember
> Brian Ripley's comments correctly, the coefficients are "only for internal
> use".
>
> Can someone suggest me a package?

A similar question:

https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/032907.html

was asked by Renaud Lancelot in late May. The source package for clines is
at:

http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/R/clines_1.0.tar.gz

which returns chosen contours from an input matrix as used in contour().

Roger