[R] building RPMs for R packages

Cooper Bethea cooper.bethea at duke.edu
Fri Jun 13 20:29:06 CEST 2003

hi all-

apologies if this question has come up before; i took a swing through a
few months of archives and didn't turn anything up.

i'm a linux systems administrator, and we're running R across a beowulf
cluster. i've been asked to install the bioconductor package, for which
i can't find RPMs. the recommended way to do this on the bioconductor
home page is via R CMD INSTALL, which seems to be the standard way to
install R packages.

however, i want to make an RPM out of bioconductor, since i have to
deploy it to 48 machines and i want rpm to track the versioning and
dependencies. also, the machines are very homogenous and there's no
reason compilation should occur on each.

so could someone who's built R extension RPM packages give me some
pointers? a SRPM for a package would be invaluable.

thanks for your time.