[R] Problems for runing R in BATCH to generate PNG/JPEG files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 18:30:23 CEST 2003

1) Read ?BATCH, carefully.
Note that R --gui BATCH isn't valid syntax.

2) Read ?png, carefully.

3) So you need to not use BATCH *and* provide an X server: I use Xvfb
on Linux (but on Solaris the console is available to batch processes).

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Charlie Chen wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> After I compile the R-1.7 with the follows in
> Linux7.3:

That's not a Linux version number!  RedHat 7.3, perhaps?

> configure --with-x --with-jpeglib --with-libpng
> --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
> --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
> and make and make install. The R is able to generate
> PNG/JPEG files from the command line. However, when I
> put the same commands in a batch file and run:
>
> R --gui BATCH R.Batch.file
>
> It gave me a error in the R.Batch.file.Rout:
>
> Error in png("myplot.png") : R_X11 module cannot be
> loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> X11 module is not available under this GUI
> Execution halted
>
> Would you please guide me through to fix the problem?
> Your help is greatly appreciated.

The help pages *are* very helpful once you read them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk