[R] car package dependencies

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jun 12 13:08:33 CEST 2003

> Martin Wegmann <baliola at riseup.net> wrote:
> > I tried to install the "car" package but I can't solve the
> > dependencies. car needs grid, lattice and dr but when I
> > try to install grid I get this error
> > prompt:
> >
> > wz3x64:/home/oggi/R/software/contrib # rpm -i R-car-1.0.R3-1.i386.rpm
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >         R-grid is needed by R-car-1.0.R3-1
> >         R-lattice is needed by R-car-1.0.R3-1
> > [...]
> >
> > how do I solve this problem? thanks in advance, cheers Martin
>

> Why would you want to use rpm?
>
> See ?install.packages

that does not need to work. `install.packages' in a pre-compiled
distribution of R (for Unix) cannot safely assume that compilers /
translators / linkers / shared libraries needed for building a
package are available (at runtime) in the places determined at
compile time. Missing `f2c' or `-lreadline' produce a lot of "cannot
install package xyz" threads on this list...

Torsten