[R] fitting data to exponential distribution with glm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 10 17:52:24 CEST 2003

An exponential distribution is a gamma distribution, and as far as fitting
the MLE of the coefficients all gammas give the same MLEs.  (You can
specify the dispersion and hence that the gamma is exponential when asking
for summaries, anova, etc.)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Masayoshi Hayashi wrote:

> I am learning glm function, but how do you fit data using exponential
> distribution with glm?
> In the help file, under "Family Objects for Models", no ready made option
> seems available for the distribution as well as for other distributions
> satisfying GLM requirements not listed there.

Which ones did you have in mind?  The only other commonly used
distribution which gives a glm is the negative binomial with fixed shape,
for which see the MASS book and package.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk