[R] Introductory Resources

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jun 6 18:44:56 CEST 2003

	  I've been using S-Plus almost daily for roughly 7 years and testing R
daily for the past 4 months.  In my opinion, roughly 90% of the
differences I've seen are in R's favor, e.g., the "log" options in the
probability functions.

	  I think the future lies with R, because I guessing that much of the
most advanced algorithm development must be in R:  I can modify an R
function and give it to the world;  if others find my modification
useful, I get recognized for having made a contribution to science and
humanity.  If I do that with an S-Plus function, I'm a thief, because
I've stolen Insightful's intellectual property.

	  In brief, I believe that R is already superior to S-Plus, and the
difference is increasing.  I'm telling my collaborators who use S-Plus
that our new software development should be tested in both R and S-Plus
so we can switch whenever we need to.

Hope this helps.
Spencer Graves
p.s.  You'll find much more discussion of this by searching the r-news
archives, "http://www.r-project.org/" -> Search -> "R Search Site".