[R] rw1070 and package bundles; was: Update VR_7.1-6

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jun 3 22:04:54 CEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I have explained that on R-help earlier today (and when VR_7.1-4 was
> announced).  Please look back a few hours in the R-help postings.
>
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Dirk Enzmann wrote:
>

>>The update of VR by downloading VR_7.1-6.zip and using install.packages
>>(from local zip files) fails with the following error message:
>>
>>Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>>In addition: Warning message:
>>cannot open file `VR/DESCRIPTION'
>>
>>Other packages can be installed without problems, except of dse_2003.4-1
>>with a similar error message.
>>
>>Why?
>

> Because VR and dse are bundles and someone broke the installation of
> bundles in R 1.7.0 on Windows.
>
> You can download and unzip the zip files in rw1070/library.

The CRAN maintainers also got first messages from users who didn't know
about this bug. In order to avoid a huge amount of further questions and
bug reports related to these problems, I decided to move the two package
bundles from CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/1.7 to a subfolder until R-1.7.1
will be released.
Please read CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/ReadMe for details.

The change presumably will show up on CRAN master within 24 hours.

Uwe Ligges