Rtips (was Re: [R] ? building a database with a the great examples

Claude Rubinson cmsclaud at uga.edu
Tue Jun 3 09:05:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:19:32PM -0500, Paul E. Johnson wrote:
> Perhaps you want to start maintaining Rtips itself!

> I'm thinking of dropping altogether the section on packages because
> I just can't keep up with the creativity of the R community.

I'm wondering if there's demand/interest in a cookbook-style site
along the lines of ActiveState/O'Reilly's Perl and Python cookbook
sites.  (If you're not familiar with the cookbooks, they're databases
of user-supplied "recipes" illustrating various programming tips and
techniques.)  The advantage of the cookbooks are that, since users
supply the content, they take much of the demand off of the
maintainer(s).

I figure that a cookbook would probably be welcome (after all, who
doesn't like more information?).  So, I guess the real question is if
there are enough people who would be willing to contribute recipes on
an ongoing basis?  The R community is certainly smaller than that of
Perl or Python.

Thoughts?

Claude