[R] compositional data: percent values sum up to 1

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jun 2 21:19:25 CEST 2003

Hi, Christoph:

	  Andy Liaw's suggestion sounds sensible to me, though I don't have
much experience with this kind of data either.

	  OTHER QUESTIONS:

	  * How big is J?  I'm guessing it might be quite large, but I don't
know.

	  * Are the spectra relatively smooth?  I wonder if it might be
appropriate to try to smooth the data some way preliminary to other
analyses.

	  * How many observations do you have in each of "ill" and "healthy",
especially relative to J?

	  I might try to do a principal components analysis (or "svd" if
"princomp" bombed because of singular matrices) on the covariance matrix
of the spectra.  Then I might want to test how different the spectra were.

hope this helps.  spencer graves