[R] Number of components in a mixture model

Christian Hennig fm3a004 at math.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jul 30 17:43:50 CEST 2003

Hi Kevin,

a more or less established method (at least for normal mixtures) is the use of
the Bayesian information criterion BIC defined as maximization of
2* max loglikelihood (s) -log(n)*number of fitted parameters for model s,
s being the number of components, n number of points, over s.
However I have no experience with it in connection with exponential mixtures.

Christian

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, kevin xie wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm fitting a set of length-of-stay data by a model of mixture of
> exponentials. I've been following the example on page 436 in MASS (5th Ed.).
> However, I have a couple of questions while following this example.
>
> What if we don't know how many components there are in the model in advance.
> Is there any established method to determine the number of components from a
> set of data? I'm aware that the usual likelihood ratio test is not
> appropriate in this case due to the possibility that the ML could occur at
> the boundry of the parameter space.
>
> Secondly, the example in MASS uses a Q-Q plot to informally assess GOF. I
> was wondering if there are some more formal statistical tests for this
> purpose.
>
> I appologise for asking questions that are slightly out-of-topic.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Kevin

Christian Hennig
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum (LEO), CH-8092 Zuerich (current)
and Fachbereich Mathematik-SPST/ZMS, Universitaet Hamburg
hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch, http://stat.ethz.ch/~hennig/
hennig at math.uni-hamburg.de, http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/hennig/