[R] Sending emails from R under Windows

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Wed Jul 30 12:32:53 CEST 2003

David Khabie-Zeitoune wrote:
> Does anyone know of any R routines to send emails from R, under Windows?
> I thought about writing such a facility using the R(D)COM package to
> drive e.g. MS Outlook, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I have
> found a function Sys.mail in the library syskern, but this only works
> under Unix by shelling out a mail command.

I've used R to call a perl script to handle the mailing; both the raw
mail commands, plus the compression of attachments, mime encoding of
plots or data files, etc.  Haven't got it handy, but (being perl) it
should be very platform independant doing things that way.

You could run the script either as a system() command, or possibly using
the RSperl library from Omegahat (haven't used the latter - just
speculating).

Check out the MIME::Parser and Mail::Sender perl modules.

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.