[R] R won't connect to the internet on SUSE Linux 8.1

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 10:23:59 CEST 2003

Hi

Thanks once again for your help, I do appreciate it..... however....

Here is what I get with your test.... (under tcsh - i normally use bash, but I will keep everything the same)

users/mwatson> env http_proxy=http://wwwcache.bbsrc.ac.uk:8080/ R

>options(internet.info=0)
>update.packages()
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"), :
	cannot open URL 'http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'

... and THATS IT!  I don't get any "Using HTTP proxy ... " message at all, which appears to suggest that R, under SUSE Linux 8.1, is NOT PICKING up the http_proxy environment variable - this isn't something thats wrong with my proxy, that works with everything else - internet browsers, ftp clients, wget, instant messenger clients etc etc.  The problem is R, which isn't picking up that it needs to use the http_proxy environment variable.  And I apologise for being blunt, but that is an R problem, not a proxy problem!

Thanks for your help

Mick