[R] Integer programming in R

apjaworski@mmm.com apjaworski at mmm.com
Fri Jul 25 04:06:02 CEST 2003

Robin,

This is not a direct answer to your question, but there exists a pretty
good linear, mixted and integer programming package called lp_solve.  I
have used it successfully  on a couple of projects.  As far as I know it is
in the public domain and there is source code available.  There is also a
precompiled version available for Windows Visual Basic environment
containing a precompiled DLL and an interface module defining VB function
calls to the DLL.  I think, that having all that it should be possible to
get something going in R, at least in the Windows environment.

Hope this helps,

Andy

__________________________________
Andy Jaworski
Engineering Systems Technology Center
3M Center, 518-1-01
St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
-----
E-mail: apjaworski at mmm.com
Tel:  (651) 733-6092
Fax:  (651) 736-3122

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           "Robin Naidoo"       |
|         |           <rnaidoo at ualberta.ca>|
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           r-help-bounces at stat.m|
|         |           ath.ethz.ch          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           07/24/2003 12:18     |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |      To:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                                                     |
  |      cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |      Subject:  [R] Integer programming in R                                                                                 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear all,

I am a relative newcomer to the R language, and am sussing out
the possibilities of using R to do integer programming (which I am
also new to).  Is there something along the lines of the NUOPT S-
PLUS package that is available, or on the way, for R?  Are there
other options for integer programming in R?

Thanks very much in advance,

Robin Naidoo
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB, Canada