[R] scatterplot smoothing using gam

Tony Long tdlong at uci.edu
Thu Jul 24 21:06:21 CEST 2003

All:

	I am trying to use gam in a scatterplot smoothing problem.
The data being smoothed have greater 1000 observation and have
multiple "humps".  I can smooth the data fine using a function
something like:

out <- ksmooth(x,y,"normal",bandwidth=0.25)
plot(x,out$y,type="l")

The problem is when I try to fit the same data using gam

out <- predict.gam(gam(y~s(x)),se=TRUE)
plot(x,out$fit,type="l")

I only seem to get fits that would correspond to "big" bandwidths
using ksmooth, and straight lines are always fit to the data.  I do
not appear to appreciate how to "control bandwidth" using gam.  As
even if I apply something like the gam model above to the smoothed
"out$y" generated using ksmooth it tends to flatten out the smoothing
curve.
--
###########################

Tony Long