[R] Confidence Band for empirical distribution function

Hotz, T. th50 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 12:47:47 CEST 2003

Dear Kjetil,

As I already mentioned, it appears that there isn't a function
available calculating the quantiles directly (at least, it doesn't appear
in the C source of ctest). So as I already suggested, uniroot (or a similar
C routine which calls the corresponding C code directly) is probably the
best you can do (apart from writing it completely yourself).

I didn't program this using uniroot, but I'd certainly try the following
for speed-up:

- For symmetry reasons, you only need to compute half of the quantiles.
- The quantiles depend smoothly on the probabilities (of your reference
distribution). Therefore, calculating only a "few" for probabilities
between 0 and 0.5, and using (e.g. linear) interpolation should be
satisfying.

I am sorry not be of more help.

HTH anyway

Thomas