[R] Condition indexes and variance inflation factors

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jul 23 18:06:09 CEST 2003

I'm under the impression that condition index is just the ratio of the
maximum singular value to the minimum singular value.  So just by doing
eigen() or svd() on the design matrix (which you can get via, e.g.,
model.matrix) ought to be sufficient.  The number of near-zero eigen values
(and their corresponding eigenvectors) tell you the number (and nature) of
the collinearity.

HTH,
Andy