[R] Confidence Band for empirical distribution function

Hotz, T. th50 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 12:37:39 CEST 2003

Dear Leif,

If you look at the definition of ks.test, you'll find the lines

pkstwo <- function(x, tol = 1e-06) {
    if (is.numeric(x))
        x <- as.vector(x)
    else stop("Argument x must be numeric")
    p <- rep(0, length(x))
    p[is.na(x)] <- NA
    IND <- which(!is.na(x) & (x > 0))
    if (length(IND) > 0) {
        p[IND] <- .C("pkstwo", as.integer(length(x)), p = as.double(x[IND]),
            as.double(tol), PACKAGE = "ctest")$p
    }
    return(p)
}

which calls C code to calculate the p-values given the test statistic.
You'll find explanations on what this function does in the original C file
src/library/ctest/src/ks.c

I haven't tried that but I assume that you could use it to calculate p-values
given the test-statistics yourself.

Please also note that ks.test() returns the p-value as well.

If you need quantiles, I assume you need to invert the cdf yourself,
e.g. using uniroot().

HTH

Thomas

---

Thomas Hotz
Research Associate in Medical Statistics
University of Leicester
United Kingdom

Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
22-28 Princess Road West
Leicester
LE1 6TP
Tel +44 116 252-5410