[R] Help is sought for a small problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jul 22 09:07:04 CEST 2003

Dipl. Ing. Kurt Neumann wrote:
> Dear there,
>
>>I tried today within my R 1.7.0 under Windows XP the command
>

>>update.packages()
>

>>and then I answered y in all subsequent questions.
>

>>>From the software responses I understood that everythin went OK from VR to Rcmdr, but in survival it said

Are you sure you used R-1.7.0 for Windows? Installing package bundles
like VR failed in that version, AFAIK. So the first recommendation is:
Update to R-1.7.1.

>>Error in file(filem "r") : unable to open connection
>
> Should read: Error in file(file, "r") : ....

Maybe an error has occured during the download?
Does the error occur again when you try
  install.packages("survival")
?

My guess: It's not survival but VR which fails. Attention: The
installation starts after download of *all* packages has finished.
Please read http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/ReadMe.

Uwe Ligges