[R] how to test whether two slopes are sign. different?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Jul 21 14:58:36 CEST 2003

Here's the "classical" (ANCOVA?) approach, as one would learn in an applied
regression course:

summary(lm(num.book ~ pop + age + pop:age, data=your.data))

Where your.data is a data frame with at least three columns: num.book, age,
and an indicator, pop, that tells which population the subject belongs (must
be a factor).  The interaction term, pop:age, gives you a test of equal
slope.

This, of course, assume that the residual variance is the same between the
two populations.  It gets trickier if they're not, as Ripley pointed out.

HTH,
Andy