[R] how to test whether two slopes are sign. different?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 08:33:42 CEST 2003

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Herzog, Mark wrote:

> Or better yet skip the whole "significantly" different all together, and
> figure out if a model with 2 slopes explains the data "better" than a
> model with 1------ AIC's!

That's not what AIC is designed to do: it is about `prediction' not
`explanation', as you will discover from the primary sources (if not from
some of the secondary ones).

In this specific case there are is the question of whether the error
variances are the same to take into account, which makes it tricky to fit
a single model (especially with lsfit).