[R] Info

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jul 17 17:02:00 CEST 2003

	  Thanks for providing data and sample command.  (In the future, please
provide the data in the form of a "data.frame" commmand.  It is not as
easy to read visually, but it is easier for others to copy into R.)

	  Please follow Doug Bates' advice:

	  1.  Plot the data.

	  2.  Play with the nonlinear formula to understand what the particular
coefficients do.

	  3.  Use algorithm = "plinear".

	  ** If you did the above, you would find out that you "data" are
entirely linear.  What values for the parameters to you need to make
your nonlinear formula (approximately) linear?  I don't have time to
analyze it right now, but you may need to send b to 0 and c. to Inf.
Compute a second-order Taylor approximation to your formula to find out.

	  Also, please set "trace=TRUE":  Then the algorithm will tell you what
it is trying to do with the parameter estimates.

	  You are persistent, Andrea:  You will get an answer.

Best Wishes,
Spencer Graves