[R] Fatal error in SJava.

Vicky Albornoz mvalborn at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jul 16 20:38:22 CEST 2003

Dear r-helpers,

I have been trying to invoke R from Java in a Windows 2000 computer
(unfortunately). All my environment variables seem to be properly set,
everything seems to be in order, but I obtaining a

Fatal error: unable to open the base package

error window.

Also, the output of the invoker is

R_HOME: R_HOME=C:/Programas/R
RVersion: R_VERSION=1.6.1

whereas I have installed the 1.7.1 version.

Some time ago I found a number of messages by another person facing the
same problems and he said that when R was invoked directly, it could
properly read the R_HOME variable, but when invoked from Java, it
searched for the base package in the wrong place (a subdirectory of the
jre, if my memory is to be trusted). I believe he finally solved his
problem fixing this "bug", but, I insist, I have not been able to find
his message again anywhere and I could be totally misled at this point.

Has anybody faced the same problem and knows a way to fix it?

Sincerely,

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
Sigma Consultores Estadísticos
http://www.consultoresestadisticos.com