[R] Plotting a graph of many lines between groups of points...

Joel Kincaid jfkincaidsu at netscape.net
Tue Jul 15 22:30:05 CEST 2003

johnson.2060 at osu.edu wrote:
 > I have a data file read into a data frame.
 >
 > For example,
 >
 >     V1  V2  V3  V4
 > 1   1   1   3   4
 > 2   2   3   5   10
 > .   .   .   .   .
 > .   .   .   .   .
 > n          V1[n]     V2[n]     V3[n]     V4[n]
 >
 > to n=many thousand

is this stored as a data.frame? a matrix? In any case there seems to be
a problem with your indexing ...
 > I want to plot a graph with many line segments, where v1[i]=x1, v2[i]=y1,
 > v3[i]=x2, v4[i]=y2 for i=1,n.
indexing is ok if you have df$v3[i] ....

 > This seems relatively simple in theory but I've spent quite a bit of time
 > trying to make it happen with plot(type=), points(x,y), or lines(x,y)
to no
 > avail.
could you send the actual code for your plot? Perhaps some way to
construct the data. at this point things are a bit murky.

 > Do I need to turn these into vectors before plotting them?
Thus my question about how the data are stored...

 > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Andrew

Cheers,