[R] Hypothesis testing after optim

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jul 15 00:35:58 CEST 2003

For nested models, 2*log(likelihood ratio) is approximately chi-square
with degrees of freedom = the number of parameters estimated for the
larger model that were not in the smaller model minus any additional
constraints.  You can compute 2*log(likelihood ratio) as twice the
difference in the log(likelihoods) at the optimum and then use pchisq to
conver that to a significance probability.

hope this helps.  spencer graves