[R] Nonliner Rgression using Neural Nnetworks

Frank E Harrell Jr fharrell at virginia.edu
Fri Jul 11 12:37:35 CEST 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:56:58 +0900
Yukihiro Ishii <fwhd3550 at mb.infoweb.ne.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am an old hand at chemistry but a complete beginner at statistics
>  including R computations.
> My question is whether you can carry out nonlinear
> multivariate regression  analysis in  R using neural networks, where the
> output variable can range from -Inf to  + Inf., unlike discriminant
> analysis where the output is confined to one  or zero. The library nnet
> seems to work only in the latter case but then I could  be wrong.
>
> Please help me there.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Y.Ishii <yukiasais at ybb.ne.jp>
> 257-0002 Japan

You might want to look at the paper at

http://brain.cs.unr.edu/publications/goodman.ann_advantages.jasa99.pdf

The work was done using a nice standalone neural net program Nevprop by Goodman and colleagues, which is intended for binary outcomes and incorporates bootstrapping for estimating predictive accuracy of the network.

You may obtain Nevprop at http://brain.cs.unr.edu
---
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences
U. Virginia School of Medicine  http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat