[R] FITS File Reader

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Jul 11 14:31:20 CEST 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:09:16 -0700 (PDT), Nicholas Konidaris
<npk at astro.ucsc.edu> wrote :

>Dear R users,
>
>	I have searched the web and CRAN fairly carefully.  Does a FITS
>format file reader for R currently exist that I can download?

www.wotsit.org has a 13 year old document describing FITS, which seems
to be a fairly open-ended format,  so it may not cover what you need.
However, it looks reasonably straightforward to read it using the
stream functions:  look at the help topics ?file, ?readLines, and
?readBin.

If you do locate code to read it, or you end up writing some yourself,
you should consider contributing it to the foreign package.

Duncan Murdoch