[R] Contour Plots

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jul 11 12:47:16 CEST 2003

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     Riley> Hello, I'm a grad. student in statistics and am
>     Riley> looking for some information on how R draws its
>     Riley> contours.  I suspect you are using a Bezier spline.
>
> I don't know if what we do can be called a Bezier spline (it
> would be the most simple, i.e. "linear" one...), but in any
> case, we simply do linear interpolation :
>
> contour() uses data on a grid.
> The only thing you have to do is drawing line segments in
> rectangles. In the following case, given the z-values in points
> A & B, find the "*" intersection on the AB line
> A & C, find the "+" intersection on the AC line
> now draw the segment from "*" to "+"
>
>   A ____*____ B
>    |   .     |
>    |  .      |
>    | .       |
>    |.        |
>    +         |
>    |_________|
>   C           D
>
> (and all you guys with silly proportional fonts in your e-mail
>  reader will not see a nice picture above ....)

The actual source is available... (the contourLines function in
src/main/plot3d.c). It's a little more elaborate than Martin says
because there can be intersections on all four sides, in which case
you have to decide whether to connect them like

(in principle, they could - and sometimes theoretically should - also
cross, but I don't think we allow them to do that).

There are more elaborate algorithms in existence, but from what I
gather, they tend to be sensitive to the smoothness of the surface and
can give wild results occasionally (e.g. have contour lines for
different levels intersect eachother).