[R] RODBC and Oracle: error "table does not exist"

RINNER Heinrich H.RINNER at tirol.gv.at
Wed Jul 9 15:33:32 CEST 2003

Dear r-helpers!

I have trouble reading data from an Oracle data base using
RODBC Version 1.0-3,
R Version 1.7.1,
Windows XP,
Oracle8 ODBC Driver Version 8.1.6.4.0:

> library(RODBC)
> channel <- odbcConnect(dsn="PAV32", case="oracle", believeNRows=FALSE)
> # ok, this was succesful
> x <- sqlTables(channel)
> x[37, ]
     TABLE_CAT TABLE_SCHEM TABLE_NAME TABLE_TYPE REMARKS
37        <NA>         TKF ABTGRNAMEN      TABLE    <NA>

> # ok, so the table I am looking for ("ABTGRNAMEN") is there, but:
> sqlFetch(channel, "ABTGRNAMEN")
[1] "[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecute"
[2] "S0002 942 [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist\n"
> # I also tried:
> sqlFetch(channel, "TKF.ABTGRNAMEN")
Error in odbcTableExists(channel, sqtable) :
        TKF.ABTGRNAMEN : table not found on channel

What am I doing wrong here?
It doesn't work with other tables as well; on the other hand, connecting to
the table(s) in MS Access works fine using the same ODBC driver.

Best regards,
Heinrich.