[R] readline and R

Jean Eid jeaneid at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 8 15:45:20 CEST 2003

Dear R users,

I am trying to install R 1.7.1 on a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 system. although
gnu readline is installed and works fine on the parent directory, R is not
recognizing it.
I get the following in the config.log file.

    configure:11627: checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline
    configure:11658: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -L/usr/local/lib
conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl -ltermcap -lm  >&5
    ld: fatal: library -lreadline: not found
    ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I also tried to install the most recent version of readline (version 4.3)
with no luck. as I do not have root access to the system I have included the
readline directory in my home path.
I beleive that I have to change the path of the readline library from
usr/local/lib to my own which is on /local/R/readline, however I do not want
to change the configure file without making sure I am doing the right thing,
Any help is appreciated,

Jean Eid