[R] floating point question

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jan 31 20:56:05 CET 2003

Deepayan Sarkar <deepayan at stat.wisc.edu> writes:

> Might have something to do with .Machine$double.eps on the respective
> machines.
>
> From help(.Machine),
>
> double.eps: the smallest positive floating-point number `x' such that
>           `1 + x != 1'.  It equals `base^ulp.digits' if either `base'
>           is 2 or `rounding' is 0;  otherwise, it is `(base^ulp.digits)
>           / 2'.

No, it's trickier than that. I think it's due to the guard digits that
intel FPUs use. Both intel and Sun have 53bit mantissas in double pr.
but intel stores intermediate results to 64 bit precision, so you get
some double rounding effects. Essentially, during alignment, before
adding to 1, 2^-53(1+2^-52) is getting rounded up to binary

0.0000....0001 (52 bits after the ".")

on Sun but down to

0.0000....0000100000000000 (63 bits)

on intel. Then, after adding 1, upon storing it you get the rounding
downwards to

1.0000....0000