[R] random number generator?

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Tue Jan 28 21:15:04 CET 2003

Peter  -

Your message is cryptic.  I've just re-read  help("RNGkind")  in
R 1.6.1 (linux Redhat rpm) and it doesn't say anything I can see
about "an unfortuante interaction between the two methods that
are used for generating uniform and normal variables".

Are you referring to a thread in R-help that starts with a message
from Robin Hankin, Tuesday Nov 26 2002 ?  On Jonathan Baron's site,
that would be

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/9058.html

but even that thread is very vague.  (I don't understand a reference
to "PR#1664" in Thomas Lumleys's email (archive/9064.html).)

Maybe it's high time to put a paragraph describing this issue into
the help files for either rnorm() or RNGkind().

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -