[R] Read.table for macs

Paul Pynsent p.b.pynsent at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 16:08:02 CET 2003

I detect an anti Mac theme, I do not wish to attribute blame but
suggest that Excel does funny things when it dumps tab separated text
files, like adding unprintable characters and trailing spaces.
My approach is to use BBedit (which is free) to:
1) zap gremlins
2) globally substitute \ \t for \t (ie remove trailing spaces which R
does not ignore).
3) convert DOS new lines to Mac new lines.
Equally you could use awk etc. on a Mac to do this.  In general it is
not safe to do this cleaning operation on a DOS/Windows system as
conversions may still take place on transmission to an Apple.