[R] proxy connection

Marwan Khawaja mk36 at aub.edu.lb
Tue Jan 21 09:44:24 CET 2003

Thanks to Uwe Ligges, Peter Dalgaard and Brian Ripley for your prompt reply.

The FAQ says:

We have had several reports of this, although they do work for us on
_all_ of our machines.  There are two known possible fixes.

(a) Use the alternative `internet2.dll' by starting R with the flag
`--internet2' (*note How do I install R for Windows?::) which uses the
Internet Explorer internals (and so needs Internet Explorer 4 or later
installed).

(b) A proxy needs to be set up: see `?download.file'.

I tried the first option -- adding '--internet2' -- but I still get the same
error msg.
I wonder if anyone on the list has instructions re option (b) in English?
TIA Marwan