[R] curious code mistakes

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jan 20 10:16:03 CET 2003

Christian Schulz wrote:
> hi,
> know anybody why this happen ?
> I'm using winedt , the old code saved in an .R
> call syntax error's. Curious is, when i'm type below
> the  same code , it works ???
>
> ...imho a print type problem, what i'm never before observed and
> can't recognize with my eyes ?
>
> P.S. R.1.6.1 /w2k
>
> thanks for advance
> & regards,christian

So what are you doing? It looks like you didn't use source(), but
copy&paste for your "old" code?

>>>getfile <- function() {

Where do the *three* ">" come from?

> +               name <- tclvalue(tkgetOpenFile(filetypes="{{SPSS files} {.sav}} {{All files} *}"))
> Error: syntax error

WinEdt is a powerful editor - that includes many ways for
misconfiguration. You might want to look with an appropriate editor
(e.g. any hex editor) into what you have produced ...; this can be done
by WinEdt as well: Open the file in the standard WinEdt in mode "binary"
- it won't show you exact results, but at least it marks non blanks and
line endings differently.

Uwe Ligges