[R] Superposed histograms

Damon Wischik djw1005 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 13:30:03 CET 2003

>> I woud like to plot cumulative histograms....
>
> I don't think this will be effective from a graphical perception point
> of view.  One problem is that the perception of the bottom symbols will
> be different than that of the symbols assigned to the upper region,
> because the upper symbols are not bottom-aligned.

I _want_ the perception to be different! I gave a toy example, not my real
application. My real application is this: I have some samples from a
distribution. Some of the samples I know with high accuracy, some I know
with low accuracy. I wanted a histogram of the high-accuracy samples drawn
in a dark colour, and a histogram of the low-accuracy samples plotted on
top in a different colour. That way my impression would be dominated by
the part of the plot I am confident about, but I would still see a little
of the part I am less confident about.

Do you have any recommendations on how to show graphically a distribution,
indicating at the same time which parts of the distribution I know with
confidence?

Damon Wischik.