[R] substitution list for graphs

Jeremy Z Butler jeremybutler at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 9 00:51:02 CET 2003

Hi,
Is there any facility in R to use text strings from a different object in a
graphical output. For example, I have a simple bargraph but instead of using the
row names as the x axis labels I would rather use the text strings from a
different object (there are the same amount of text strings in that other object
as rows in the matrix used to create the barplot).

I have to do this kind of operation in a number of different situations so I'm
wondering whether there is an elegant way to make a reference, within my
function, to the names in the other object, rather than simply replacing the row
names. In essence, I want to be able to tell R to substitute the row names for
the test strings in the other object when it constructs the graph.

Hope this makes sense,
Thanks for any help,
Jeremy