[R] R talking to Oracle, ODBC drivers available ?

Luke Whitaker luke at inpharmatica.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 14:11:02 CET 2003

[sorry, but this is a re-post - I forgot to set the subject line
 the first time around]

Hello,

I would like to access an Oracle database running on Solaris from
R on my linux desktop. I have had a look at the R Data Import/Export
manual, and downloaded RODBC and unixODBC, but I am still quite confused
about how to proceed. It appears to me that I still need to get an Oracle
ODBC driver, and the only one I can find is from Easysoft for 880 euros,
which is not available for this project.

Is there any free software which will enable R on linux to talk to Oracle
on Solaris (both reading and writing data) ?

My R setup is as follows:

platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386
os       linux-gnu