[R] Factor Analysis

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 27 19:41:23 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Spencer Graves wrote:

> To obtain an nonsingular estimate of an (n x n) covariance or
> correlation matrix, you need at least (n+1) observations.  However, you
> can obtain estimates of the largest k singular values or eigenvalues
> with only (k+1) observations.  The principal components routine must use
> something like "eigen" or "svd", which does not require a nonsingular
> covariance matrix.

That's because principal components analysis is defined for simgular
covariance matrices, but the factor analysis model can never generate
them.  It's not to do with the computational technique.

Using PCA to find constant combinations is quite common, and such data
matrices have singular covariance structures.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk