[R] multiple plot overlay - dataframe

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Wed Feb 26 08:05:03 CET 2003

Here's one idea:

df <- ...

# Create an empty plot big enough to fit all data points
xlim <- range(df[,1], na.rm=TRUE)
ylim <- range(df[,-1], na.rm=TRUE)
plot(NA, xlim=xlim, ylim=ylim, xlab="x", ylab="y")

# For each Y column, plot the data against the X column
for (k in 2:ncol(df))
  points(df[,1], df[,k], col=k-1)  # Works with lines() too!

and here is another one that assumes a scatter plot:

xs <- rep(df[,1], times=ncol(df)-1)
ys <- as.vector(as.matrix(df[,-1]))
col <- rep(1:5, each=nrow(df))
plot(xs,ys, col=col, xlab="x", ylab="y")

Hope that helps

Henrik Bengtsson