[R] getting/storing the name of an object passed to a function

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 16:33:03 CET 2003

Here's a comment I wrote that has not come through yet (and there is an
engineer working on my mail server so it may be delayed/lost):

Use  objname <- deparse(substitute(obj))

at the top of hotelling.t, and make objname part of the returned list.

Another way is to capture the call by

        Call <- match.call()

pass that on and look at it in the print function.

However, if you really want the object and not its name, it is better to
pass the object.  Otherwise I could do

fit.lda <- lda(...)
hT <- hotelling.t(fit.lda)
fit.lda <- update(fit.lda, ....)
hT

and that would I suspect not be what you want.

More generally, get() is dangerous, and I am pretty sure you don't want to
start the get() search inside your function nor do you want to eval()
there.  There is a real danger of getting the wrong objects.