[R] glm and overdispersion

Ben Bolker ben at zoo.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 18 16:36:03 CET 2003

  Use family=quasibinomial in your glm() statement.
  R "does what you say rather than doing what you mean": it specifically
says something like "(Dispersion for binomial family taken to be 1)",
which is an indication that R is not using a dispersion factor > 1 in this
case.  (There is a hint of this in the ?anova.glm man page: "For models
with known dispersion (e.g. binomial and Poisson fits) the chi-squared
test is most appropriate, and for those with dispersion estimated by
moments (e.g.  `gaussian', `quasibinomial' and `quasipoisson' fits) the F
test is most appropriate.")

  I brought this up with R-devel -- I think that many people are likely to
run into this confusion -- but I wasn't sufficiently convincing to get a
note put into the help page ...

  Ben

318 Carr Hall                                bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704